Saturday, July 4, 2009

My first Ecuadorian concert



I attended my first Ecuadorian concert with some of the local girls I have met here -- my Ecuadorian hermana (sister), Candelaria, and some of her friends. We saw an alternative rock/ska group called Cafe Tecvba. As a local friend explained to me, “CafĂ© Tecvba is like the Beatles of Latin America, well no maybe the Red Hot Chili Peppers, because, everyone likes them.” The concert was very inexpensive and held in a local stadium in South Quito. I really wasn’t sure what to expect going into the concert, but really enjoyed the dance rhythm and energy of the music. The band had four different screens behind their stage that showed different images in coordination with the beat and the songs playing. They had very creative and interesting visuals like images of eggs frying, aspirin being dropped in water, incense burning, and paint being spilled and picked up again. It was so raw!

No comments:

Post a Comment